The flu can be very dangerous to some and can spread rapidly in your community. Even when you are fit and active, immunisation is still the best protection against influenza. Annual flu vaccinations are recommended because each year the type of infection you can get changes.
Flu vaccinations are available for $29 each at your local Countdown Pharmacy and free for those over 65 year and pregnant. For more information on when you can get the vaccine, visit the Ministry of Health website.
At Countdown Pharmacies we have trained vaccinators on-site which makes getting your vaccinations very convenient. The earlier you get the vaccine, the sooner you’re protected.
Prevention and Self Care:
- Wash hands before eating and after toileting.
- Sneeze or cough into a tissue.
- Stay hydrated.
- Sip fresh lemon juice mixed with honey and hot water or gargle salt water to soothe a sore throat or dry cough.
- Inhale hot steam to clear your sinuses.
- Control fever, aches and pains with Paracetamol and Ibuprofen for adults.
- Ask your pharmacist for product advice for young children and do not give aspirin to children under 16 years.
- See your doctor if your symptoms get worse. These include: increasing breathing problems, coughing up yellow or green coloured phlegm, severe headaches or dehydration (or phone Healthline on 0800 611 116)
Consult your Countdown Pharmacist for further advice on treatment and care.
Written by Crystal Braganza, Pharmacist, Countdown Pharmacy Pukekohe South