Paella Style Chicken, Prawns Rice with Avocado Relish
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped,
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups risotto or other short or medium grain rice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 boneless Macro Free Range chicken thighs, sliced 2cm thick across the grain of the meat
- 300 g raw peeled prawns
- 3 cups hot chicken stock
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander, plus extra for garnish
- 2 ripe but firm avocados, peeled, stoned and diced 2cm
- 2 tomatoes, diced 2cm
- 1 lemon juiced
Heat a deep frying pan over moderate heat.
Add the oil, onion, celery, carrot, garlic and cumin seeds.
Fry gently, without browning for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft.
Add the rice, mix well and fry for 2 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, chicken, prawns and hot stock and mix well.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
For the Relish, mix the red onion, chilli, coriander, avocados, tomatoes and lemon juice.
Taste and season.
Serve the avocado relish with the chicken and prawn rice.
Tip: Use Italian risotto rice or any other short grain rice for this recipe. Short grain rices will absorb the stock easily.