Salmon & Coriander Fish Cakes
- 250 g salmon fillets, cooked, cooled and flaked
- 250 g potato, peeled, cooked and grated
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander, chopped
- 1/2 lemon for zest
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 red chilli, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp oil, for cooking
- egg plus 1 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup Homebrand flour
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs or panko crumbs
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup natural yoghurt
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- 1/2 lemon for juice
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl add the flaked cooked salmon, grated potato, spring onions, ½ cup of coriander, lemon zest, ginger, chilli, salt and pepper. Combine well.
2. With wet hands, form the mixture into small balls, flattening slightly with the palm of your hand.
3. Whisk the egg with the water.
4. Combine the breadcrumbs and sesame seeds.
5. Roll the fish cakes into the flour, then dip in the egg and water mixture, then finally into the bread crumb and sesame seed mixture. Cover the formed and coated fish cakes and place in the fridge until you’re ready to cook.
6. Heat the oil in a medium sized frying pan. Cook in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side. Alternatively, cook on the BBQ for 3-4 minutes each side.
7. To make the dipping sauce, combine yoghurt, juice of ½ a lemon and ¼ cup coriander, stir to combine, adding salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve hot with dipping sauce.
Tip: These could also be made larger and served with a salad as a light meal.