Sausage Kebabs with Orzo Salad
- 12 Angus beef sausages
- 2 red or yellow capsicums
- 2 large red onions
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 300 g orzo or other rice shaped pasta
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 handfuls rocket leaves
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn into smaller pieces if they are large
- 75 ml olive oil
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1. Put the sausages into a large saucepan of cold water.
2. Slowly bring to the boil then remove and run under cold water until the sausages are cold. Drain well.
3. Slice each sausage into 4 equal pieces.
4. Cut the capsicum in half, remove the core and seeds and cut each into 3cm pieces. Cut the onions into the same sized pieces.
5. Thread each skewer with 4 pieces of sausage. In-between each piece of sausage thread a piece of capsicum and a piece of onion.
6. Mix the olive oil, garlic and paprika and season well with salt and pepper. Brush the oil mixture all over the skewers.
7. Barbecue or pan-fry the skewers over moderate heat until everything is hot and well browned.
8. Meanwhile, boil the orzo in plenty of well salted water until al dente.
9. Drain well, place in a large bowl and add the tomatoes, rocket, basil, extra virgin olive oil and vinegar.
10. Mix well so that the rocket wilts a little, taste and season.
Serve the skewers on the salad.
Tip: Raw sausages need to be cooked slowly over low heat to prevent them bursting. If you want to speed up frying sausages, place the raw sausages in a saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat. Drain, cool and fry until hot and browned.