Hoki in Spicy Yoghurt Sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 tsp cardamon
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- ggreen chilli, chopped finely
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened yoghurt
- 4 hoki fillets (or any white fleshed fish such as Tarakihi or Snapper)
- coriander, to garnish
- mint leaves, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. In a heavy based pan heat the oil to a medium heat and add the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, and mustard seeds. Cook until they start popping.
3. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until browned – around 10 minutes.
4. Add the ground coriander, turmeric, garam masala and green chilli, and fry for 3 - 4 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat and add the yoghurt, stirring until well combined.
6. Remove from the heat.
7. In an ovenproof dish, place the fish fillets and cover with the yoghurt sauce.
8. Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes depending on how thick the fish fillets are. It doesn’t matter if the sauce starts to separate.
9. Garnish with coriander and mint.
10. Serve hot with rice and green vegetables.
Tip: This recipe uses a selection of regular ingredients from your kitchen to create a gluten free meal. Yoghurt binds the spices to create a sauce without having to use any gluten-based products.