Asparagus Rolls with Lemon Aioli
- 24 large asparagus spears
- finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup aioli
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- 12 slices white or wheatmeal Homebrand sandwich bread
1. Trim and discard the stalks and blanch asparagus in boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and run under cold water to cool. Pat dry with a paper towel. Combine the lemon zest, juice, aioli and chives in a bowl, mix and season to taste.
2. Cut off the bread crusts and smear a generous amount of aioli on each piece of bread. Place 2 asparagus spears on the diagonal on each piece of bread. (Put the tips facing in one direction if making large rolls – on a tip facing each way if making small rolls). Roll up tightly and ensure that the seam is underneath so it doesn’t unravel. Cut in half if making into smaller rolls. Put onto a platter and if not serving straight away cover with a damp tea towel and plastic wrap, this will ensure they will not dry out.