BBQ Sirloin, Caramelised Red Onion with Balsamic Vinegar, Grilled Mushrooms with Blue Cheese Dressing
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 rosemary sprig, finely chopped
- Angus sirloin steaks
- 50 g blue cheese
- 2 Tbsp crème fraiche
- juice half a lemon
- 500 g Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and stem removed
- 1 cup rocket leaves
1. For the onions: In a wide saucepan over a medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, the onions and brown sugar. Season with salt and fry for a few minutes. Cover and cook for 30 minutes stirring occasionally, until tender. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook for a few more minutes. This can be made up to 2 days ahead and reheated.
2. For the steak: In a baking dish, mix the soy sauce, red wine vinegar, garlic, and rosemary with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add the steaks and marinate for up to 2 hours. Cook on a clean and oiled BBQ hotplate or grill until done to your liking (approx 2 -3 minutes each side for medium rare). Set aside to rest for a few minutes before serving.
3. For the mushrooms: In a food processor blitz the blue cheese with the crème fraiche and lemon juice. Set aside. Put the mushrooms on a well oiled hotplate, season with salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes on each side. While still warm, put into a bowl with the dressing and toss well. Add the rocket leaves and serve.