Carrot Nut Loaf
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots (approx 300g), peeled and grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup nuts, coarsely chopped (any combination of walnuts, cashews, pine nuts, sunflower seeds etc)
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven 200°C. Grease and line a 3 cup capacity loaf tin with baking paper.
2. In a fry pan heat the olive oil and gently sauté the onion until soft, then add the carrot, salt and sage. Cook gently for another 5 minutes until the carrot is soft. Set aside to cool.
3. In a bowl combine the carrots with the remaining ingredients. Gently press into the loaf tin. Bake for 40 minutes or until firm to touch. Sit for 5 minutes before removing from the tin and cutting into slices.
Tip: If you prefer you can cook the nut roast in muffin tins. Grease 6 half-cup sized muffins tins and line the base with a disc of baking paper. Gently press the mix in the tins and bake for 20 minutes. Delicious by itself or with a light tomato sauce.