Lemon Cheesecake Tarts
- 2 sheets (350g) sweet shortcrust pastry
- 2 eggs, plus 1 extra or topping
- 250 g cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 1/3 cup extra for topping
- 2 lemons, juice and finely grated zest
- 50 g butter, melted
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C. Trim the pastry to fit 4 x 12cm tart pans (or one 24cm pan). Line the pastry cases with baking paper, fill with baking weights, beans or rice and bake blind for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool. Reduce the oven to 170°C.
2. Beat together 2 eggs, cream cheese, sugar, juice and zest of 1 lemon until smooth and creamy. Pour the filling into the pastry cases and bake for 12-15 minutes until just set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
3. To make the topping, place the juice and zest of remaining 1 lemon, butter and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small saucepan over a gentle heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the remaining 1 egg and mix well. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened and almost come to the boil. Set aside to cool.
4. Pour the cooled topping over the tarts and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Courtesy of Food Magazine. Recipe by Helen Jackson. Photography by Shaun Cato-Symonds.
By Food Magazine