Leek & Potato Soup
- 50g butter
- 6 leeks, washed thoroughly in cold water and sliced
- 4 medium-sized Potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 sprig Thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1L vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped chives to garnish
- Sour cream to serve
Heat the butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan or stockpot. Add the leeks, potato, onion and garlic. Cover and cook over a very low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
Add the thyme, bay leaf and stock. Simmer uncovered for about
20 minutes, or until the potato is tender. Remove the thyme and bay leaf and allow the soup to cool slightly before puréeing in batches in a food processor.
Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Return the soup to the pan and reheat gently – do not bring to a boil.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped chives.
Courtesy of Food Magazine. Recipe by Bernadette Hogg. Photography by Shaun Cato-Symonds.
By Food Magazine