Lamb & Barley Broth
- 1kg Lamb Neck Chops, fat and sinew removed
- 4 cups each: Water, Chicken Stock
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- 2 Leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1 Carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 Kumara, peeled and cubed
- 2 sprigs Rosemary, plus extra to garnish
- 3 Tbsp Pearl Barley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the lamb in a large saucepan with the water and stock. Slowly bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 1½ hours.
Set aside and, once cool, remove the meat from the bones. Discard the bones and return the meat to the stock.
Add the vegetables, rosemary and barley. Cover and simmer for an hour, or until the vegetables and barley are soft.
Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove any fat from the top of the soup with a spoon. Serve garnished with a sprig of fresh rosemary.
TIP: If you have time, make this soup the day before. Refrigerate overnight and remove any fat before reheating.
Courtesy of Food Magazine. Recipe by Bernadette Hogg. Photography by Shaun Cato-Symonds.
By Food Magazine