Chocolate Peppermint Slice
- 150 g butter, softened, plus 100g for icing
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cream
- 1 tsp peppermint essence
- 200 g dark chocolate, melted, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line an 18cm x 28cm pan with baking paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugar with an electric beater until the mixture is light and fluffy. Sift in the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Mix together until combined.
3. Press the mixture into the base of the prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until firm. Set aside to cool.
4. To make the filling, cream the 100g of butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the cream and peppermint essence. Spread the mixture evenly over the cooled base.
5. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before topping with a layer of melted chocolate. Wait for the chocolate to set before cutting the slice into small pieces (for a perfect finish, use the tip of a sharp knife to mark cutting lines in the chocolate topping just before it sets).
Courtesy of Food Magazine. Recipe by Sandra Kinniburgh. Photography by Shaun Cato-Symonds.
Tip: You can add a few drops of green food colouring to the peppermint filling if you like.