Barbecued Eggplant Teriyaki
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup Japanese soy sauce
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 large eggplants, cut into 1cm thick slices
- spray oil
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1. Combine the mirin, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil and garlic to make the teriyaki sauce. Set aside.
2. Spray the eggplant slices on both sides with the oil spray. Cook the eggplant slices on a preheated barbecue over a medium-low heat, turning frequently, for 5-10 minutes, or until they are golden brown and tender.
3. Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with the teriyaki sauce and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes. Brush once more with teriyaki sauce and remove the slices from the barbecue.
4. Place the eggplant slices on a serving plate, sprinkle with the spring onions and sesame seeds and drizzle with the remaining teriyaki sauce.
Courtesy of Food Magazine. Recipe by Bronwyn Byrne. Photography by Shaun Cato-Symonds.