Sweet & Sour Chicken & Vegetables with Noodles
- fresh Noodles for 6 people
- 1/3 cup Tomato Sauce
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup White Vinegar
- pinch Chinese five-spice mix
- 1-2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 boneless Chicken Breasts, skin removed, cut in thin strips suitable for stir-frying
- 5-6 cups frozen chunky Vegetable stir-fry mix
- ½ Tbsp Cornflour, dissolved in ½ Tbsp cold water
- handful of toasted cashews or crispy noodles, optional
Prepare the noodles according to the manufacturer’s directions and set aside.
To make the sweet and sour sauce, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, white vinegar and five-spice in a small pan. Simmer gently over a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Stir-fry the sliced chicken until the strips have sealed (they will be white-looking). Pour the sweet and sour sauce over the chicken slices and toss so that they are evenly coated.
Add the frozen vegetables and stir-fry over a low to medium heat until the vegetables are piping hot and the chicken is cooked through.
Pour in the cornflour mixture and stir until the sauce thickens. Place the cooked noodles on plates and spoon over the sweet and sour chicken. Top with the toasted cashews or crispy noodles, if you are using them.
Tip: Use 2-minute noodles if you don’t have fresh noodles, or serve with rice.
Courtesy of Food Magazine. Recipe by Sophie Gray. Photography by Shaun Cato-Symonds.