Low-fat Chicken Curry
- 500-600g g chicken breast or thighs, skin and bones removed
- 3-4 Tbsp plain unsweetened yoghurt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup tomato puree
- chopped fresh coriander to garnish (optional)
- 11/2 cup rice cooked accordingly to packet direction
1. Trim any remaining fat from the chicken and slice them into 2cm pieces. Place chicken pieces in a bowl with yoghurt, paprika, cumin, coriander and turmeric. Stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
2. Preheat oven to 200ºC. Place marinated chicken onto an oven tray lined with baking paper. Spread out the pieces into a single layer. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden.
3. To make the sauce, heat oil in a frying pan. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes over a medium heat until golden. Add garam masala and cook for another minute.
4. Add in tomato purée and 1/2 cup water. Cover with a lid and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
5. Add chicken pieces to the sauce, along with any juices in the oven tray. Cover and simmer for another 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander, if desired, and serve with rice.
Tip: For a creamier sauce, stir through an extra spoonful of yoghurt just before serving.
Courtesy of Food Magazine. Recipe by Sandra Kinniburgh.
By Food Magazine