Roasted Whole Leg of Lamb
- whole leg of lamb (average weight 2.2–2.5kg)
- 1-2 Tbsp oil
- rock salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4-5 fresh rosemary sprigs
1. Take your lamb out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
3. Place a wire rack in a roasting tray, place the lamb on the rack and brush the meat with the oil. Season with the rock salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Rub the lamb with the rosemary sprigs leaving them in the roasting dish.
5. Place the meat into the oven and roast at 160°C, allowing 30 minutes per 500g. To test if the meat is cooked, use a skewer to pierce the leg at the thickest part, going through to the bone. If the juices are clear, the lamb is cooked.
6. Remove the lamb from the oven, cover the meat with some aluminum foil and then set the lamb aside to rest, for approximately 15-20 minutes.
7. Carve the meat and serve with your favourite vegetables and plenty of gravy.