Roasted Beef Topside with Caraway and Pepper Rub
- 1 kg topside of beef
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp rock salt
- 1 Tbsp whole caraway seeds
1. Take your beef out of the fridge 30 minutes before you place it into the oven. This allows the beef to warm up to room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 230°C.
3. Place the beef in a roasting tray and rub with olive oil.
4. Grind the peppercorns, salt and caraway seeds using a mortar and pestle and sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the meat.
5. Place the roasting dish into the oven and cook at 230°C for 20 minutes. Then turn the heat down to 170°C and cook for a further 12–15 minutes per 500g for medium-rare, or 20 minutes per 500g for medium-well done.
6. Baste the meat with the cooking juices halfway through the cooking time, if the meat is looking dry, add a little water or stock to the roasting dish.
7. When the beef is cooked to your liking, remove it from the oven and cover with foil. Leave the meat to rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
8. Serve with roasted vegetables.