Beef Corned Silverside
- 1.5kg piece beef corned silverside
- 30 whole cloves
- 4 Tbsp golden syrup
- 6–8 bay leaves
- 10-12 whole black peppercorns
- 2 oranges
1. Remove the meat from its wrapping and rinse under the tap. Trim away any visible fat.
2. Dress the meat with the cloves. 30 cloves should be enough to cover each side of the meat.
3. Take a large, deep saucepan and place the meat into the pan sitting the meat on a trivet if you have one, to ensure the meat cooks evenly.
4. Add the bay leaves, peppercorns and golden syrup.
5. Cut the oranges in half, squeeze the juice over the meat, place oranges into the pan.
6. Fill the saucepan with water; ensuring all of the meat is covered.
7. Place the lid on the pan and simmer until cooked, allowing 50 minutes cooking time per 500g.
8. Skim and clean the surface of the water with a ladle every 30 minutes or so to prevent the liquid from becoming cloudy. You may need to top up the pan with more water to keep the meat completely covered.
9. Once cooked, remove meat from the pan, cover and set aside for 12 – 15 minutes.
10. Remove the cloves from the meat and carve; slicing it across the grain. Serve with mustard sauce and seasonal vegetables.