- 400 g can Select diced tomatoes
- 1 large pinch chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 32 live mussels, well scrubbed and de-bearded
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp chopped parsley
1. Put the tomatoes, chilli, paprika, garlic and sugar into a food processor and mix until blended. Set aside.
2. Put a large saucepan over moderate heat and add the wine. Bring to the boil and add the mussels. Cover and boil until the mussels open, removing them as they do, so they don’t overcook and become tough and chewy.
3. Add the reserved tomato mixture to the pan and boil until reduced and thick.
4. Add the mussels back to the saucepan and mix well, coating the mussels with sauce.
5. Taste and season with salt and pepper, but be careful with the salt as the mussels are already salty.
6. Serve in large bowls, sprinkled with parsley.