Cheat’s Chicken Biryani
- 6 Macro Free Range chicken thighs, skinned and boned
- 3 Tbsp peanut oil, plus extra for frying
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 8 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups un-cooked Homebrand Basmati rice, well washed and drained
- 700ml Campbell’s chicken stock, warmed
- 1 Tbsp Homebrand tomato paste
- 1 cup Select frozen peas, thawed
- freshly ground black pepper
- coriander leaves for serving (optional)
How to Freeze Herbs
Preheat the oven to 160°C.
Slice each chicken portion into 4, across the grain of the meat. Set aside.
Place a large casserole dish (use a dish that is suitable for stove top and oven) over moderate heat and add three Tbsp of oil. Add curry powder and fry briefly until the curry powder has darkened in colour. Add a quarter of the onions, and the garlic and carrot.
Mix well and fry gently for 5 minutes. Turn the heat up and add the chicken. Mix well, and fry for 5 minutes or until the chicken is browned and sticking to the bottom of the casserole dish.
Add the rice, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
Carefully add the stock (it might spit), tomato paste and peas. Mix well, scraping the bottom of the casserole with a wooden spoon. Season well with salt and pepper.
Bring the mixture to the boil, cover, and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, put enough oil in a wide pan over moderate heat so the oil is 3cm deep. You can tell the oil is hot enough when a piece of bread bubbles and fries immediately. Add the remaining onions in batches (don’t crowd the pan) and fry each batch until the onions are crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
Remove the biryani from the oven and rest, covered, for 10 minutes.
Serve the biryani sprinkled with fried onions and coriander.