Chicken & Prawn Laksa
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 120 g laksa paste or Brett’s curry paste (recipe available at youtube.com/countdownnz)
- 4-6 Macro Free Range chicken thighs, skinned, boned, thinly sliced
- 4-8 prawns per person, raw, peeled
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 200 g tthin rice noodles
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- lime wedges for serving
1. Heat a large saucepan over a low heat and add the oil. Add the laksa paste or Brett’s curry paste. Fry gently, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Add the chicken and mix well. Fry gently for 2 minutes.
2. Add the prawns, 375ml water, coconut milk and fish sauce. Mix and bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes or until the prawns are cooked. The liquid in the laksa will be soupy.
3. Drop the noddles into another saucepan of boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes or as per pack instructions. Drain and divide evenly among 4 large bowls.
4. Add the chicken, prawns and soup evenly over the noodles and top with bean sprouts, mint and chilli. Serve with lime wedges.
5. Brett’s Curry Paste: Add 2-3 Tbsp chili flakes, 2 onions quartered, 3 cloves garlic, 1 Tbsp lemongrass paste, 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil, 1 tsp shrimp paste, 4 Tbsp curry powder, 1 tsp turmeric and ½ tsp cloves to a food processor. Blend until you have a nice paste, adding extra oil to help loosen if necessary.