Peach Cream Sponge Sandwiches
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 115 g flour, sifted
- 115 g caster sugar
- can sliced peaches, well drained, thinly slice ¼ of the peach slices
- 200 g mascarpone
- 250 ml apricot jam
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a shallow baking dish, about 28cm by 18cm, with non stick baking paper.
2. Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla for about 5 minutes until very thick and pale. Fold in the flour.
3. Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the sponge comes out clean.
4. Remove from the oven, allow to cool, then turn out onto a clean surface and peel off the paper. Trim the edges and cut into 32 equal rectangles.
5. Slice each rectangle through in half, horizontally. Mix ¼ of the thinly sliced peaches with the mascarpone. Spread a little on the bottom half of each rectangle. Replace the top half and press down gently so it sticks to the mascarpone mixture.
6. Melt the jam over low heat until runny. Glaze the cakes by brushing the top of each cake with a little jam. Place a piece of peach on top of each and brush well with the jam. Refrigerate for 30 minutes then serve.