Barbecued chicken with eggplant & herbed yoghurt
- size 14 Macro Free Range chicken
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp chopped thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 150 g butter, softened
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, plus extra for serving
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, grated, squeezed dry of juice
- 2 eggplants, sliced 1cm thick
- Homebrand olive oil for brushing
1. Cut the chicken down each side of the backbone with kitchen shears. Discard the backbone and open the chicken out flat. Cut off the excess skin and fat around the neck and tail ends. Turn it over so it is skin side up.
2. Mix the lemon zest, thyme, 3 cloves of the garlic, 2 Tbsp of the parsley and the butter so you have a thick paste. Season well.
3. Using your fingertips, push under the skin of the chicken on the thighs and breasts then push the butter mixture under the skin so it forms an even layer. Place in a small roasting dish, skin side up and place on a moderate barbecue, cover with barbecue lid and barbecue for 45 minutes or until done. Alternatively bake in the oven at 200°C for 45 minutes.
4. Meanwhile blitz the yoghurt with the basil, mint, remaining garlic, and remaining parsley until smooth. Stir in plenty of the cucumber, taste and season. Reserve.
5. Brush the eggplant with oil and barbecue on each side until well browned.
6. Remove the chicken and rest in a warm place. Carve the chicken and serve, drizzle the pan juices on the eggplant, serve with the yoghurt over the top and add a few basil and mint leaves.
7. Serve with a salad of cos lettuce, tomatoes, sliced red onion dressed with extra virgin olive oil and white wine vinegar.