Slow-Cooked Country Chicken
- 4 tbsp Flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 8 Chicken Pieces (legs and thighs)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Rashers Streaky Bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 Onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and diced
- 3 Carrots, peeled and cut into slices
- 150g Mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 400g tin of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- ½ cup Chopped Italian Parsley plus extra to garnish
- 3 tblsp Cornflour & 3 tbsp Cold Water
Turn the slow cooker onto low.
Place the seasoned flour into a clean plastic bag with the chicken pieces and shake the bag so that the chicken is evenly coated.
Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan. Place the floured chicken in the pan and brown the pieces on all sides.
Remove the chicken from the pan and add the bacon, onion, garlic, carrots and mushrooms.
Sauté for 2-3 minutes then remove the vegetable mix from the pan and place it in the slow cooker.
Top the vegetables with the chicken pieces and add the tomatoes, stock and parsley.
Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
Remove the chicken from the cooker and keep warm.
Make a smooth paste from the cornflour and water and stir the paste into the chicken juices.
Cover the cooker and cook for 15 minutes on high so that the juices thicken.
Serve the chicken drizzled with the thickened juices.
By The Foodtown Magazine Issue 48 Aug/Sept 2009