Ham & Cheese Croquettes
- 60g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 100g leftover ham, finely chopped
- ¼ cup plain all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups milk
- 150g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add onion and ham; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat; gradually whisk in milk. Return to heat; cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Simmer, stirring, for 1 minute; stir in cheese, paprika and parsley.
2. Pour mixture into a shallow heatproof dish. Cover, refrigerate for 2 hours or until cold.
3. Using two dessert spoons, shape tablespoon measures of mixture into quenelle shapes. Dip croquettes in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Place croquettes on a tray lined with plastic wrap or baking paper. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Fill a large saucepan one-third full with oil; heat to 180°C/350°F (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 15 seconds). Deep-fry croquettes, in batches, for 2 minutes or until browned lightly and
heated through. Drain on paper towel.
5. Serve croquettes with a relish.
Tip: Deep-fried food is very hot in the centre; allow the croquettes to stand for a few minutes to cool slightly before serving.
• Energy 1369Kj • Protein 10g • Total Fat 24g • Saturated Fat 9g • Carbohydrates 18g • Sugars 3g • Sodium 448mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation