Lindsay's N.E.D Slice
- 1 packet vanilla wine or malt biscuits
- 125 g nutter, melted
- 1 cup dried fruit of choice, chopped e.g. apricots, raisins, dates or fruit cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- 400 g condensed milk
- 1 cup toasted coconut flakes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 20x30cm slice tin with baking paper.
2. Blitz the biscuits in a food processor until fine. Pour in the melted butter and blitz. The mixture should look like wet sand and stay together when squeezed.
3. Press the mixture into the bottom of the lined slice tin. Add the chopped dried fruit followed by the chopped chocolate, and finally the nuts. Drizzle over the condensed milk. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. Once removed from oven, add a layer of coconut flakes by carefully pushing down into the slice using a spatula. It will be very hot!
5. Bake for another 3-5 minutes, or until the coconut is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
Tip: For a more festive slice, substitute the biscuits with gingernuts and use Christmas fruit mince as the dried fruit of choice. You can use white, milk or dark chocolate. For a tropical slice use gingernuts as the base, dried tropical fruit mix and white or coconut white chocolate.
Energy 938Kj • Protein 6g • Total Fat 4g • Saturated Fat 14g • Carbohydrates 7g • Sugars 19g • Sodium 99mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.