Francis' Chicken Cafreal
- 4 tender boneless chicken breasts or whole legs
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Olive oil as needed for grilling
- Green salad or rice, to serve
- Cafreal Paste:
- 5 fresh green chillies (de-seed for a milder flavour)
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger paste
- 2 Tbsp fresh garlic paste
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (picked, washed, roughly chopped)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 peppercorns
- 5 cloves
- 1-inch piece cinnamon
- 2 green cardamom
- A dash of malt vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- A dash of water, if required
Recipe brought to you by Francis - Food Specialist from Countdown
"Since I was a kid Chicken Cafreal has made my mouth water" - Francis
1. Rub the chicken with turmeric, lemon juice and salt and set aside for 15 minutes.
2. To make the Cafreal paste, grind together all of the ingredients until they form a smooth and thick paste.
3. Apply the spice paste to the chicken and marinate in the fridge for at least an hour, preferably overnight.
4. Cook the marinated chicken on a barbecue for about 5 minutes on each side, or until through.
5. Serve while hot with a green salad or rice.
• Energy 1796Kj • Protein 45g • Total Fat 26g • Saturated Fat 8g • Carbohydrates 3g • Sugars 3g • Sodium 742mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.