Potato and Salmon Salad
- 1 bunch chives
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 1kg new potatoes, scrubbed, halved lengthways
- 1.5kg side of salmon, skin on, pin-boned
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon rind, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 170g asparagus, trimmed, halved lengthways
- 1 Tbsp baby capers
- 1 Tbsp cornichons, finely chopped
- Mustardy dressing
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. To make mustardy dressing, whisk all ingredients in a small bowl to combine; season to taste. Set aside.
2. Finely chop enough chives to yield 2 tablespoons. Chop the remaining chives into 2cm lengths to yield 2 tablespoons. Set aside.
3. Pick leaves from parsley to fill 1/4 cup and set aside. Then finely shop the parsley stems to fill 1/4 cup.
4. Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8 minutes or until tender; drain and keep warm.
5. Meanwhile, place salmon, skin-side up, on a chopping board; season with the salt. Turn fish over, cut deep slices along the length of the fish. Combine finely chopped herbs, lemon rind and oil in a small bowl. Rub herb mixture over flesh side of salmon.
6. Using a heated chargrill plate or barbecue, cook asparagus, turning, for 3 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat and season.
7. Place salmon, skin-side down, on a long heated chargrill or barbecue plate for 4 minutes or until cooked two-thirds of the way up the side of the salmon. Using two lifters, carefully turn salmon over. Using tongs, carefully lift off skin, place white-side down on chargrill plate beside the salmon; cook skin and salmon for 2 minutes or until skin is crisp, and salmon is almost cooked through. Remove from heat.
8. Place warm potatoes and asparagus in a large bowl with capers, cornichons and three-quarters of the dressing; toss to combine. Arrange on a platter, topped with large flakes of salmon. Sprinkle with chive lengths, parsley leaves and shards of crisp skin. Serve salad immediately, drizzled with remaining dressing.
• Energy 2284Kj • Protein 42g • Total Fat 35g • Saturated Fat 9g • Carbohydrates 14g • Sugars 2g • Sodium 339mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation