Rudolph the Reindeer Cookies
- 90g butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 2/3 cup wholemeal plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/3 cup white self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 10 ice-block sticks
- 20 pretzels
- 1/4 cup dark choc bits
- 10 giant choc orange balls
1. Beat butter, egg and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Stir in coconut, wheat germ and sifted flours and spice. Enclose dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
2. Take out of fridge and roll dough between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Place on tray; refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line oven trays with baking paper.
4. Using a 9cm round cutter, cut 10 rounds from dough, re-rolling scraps as necessary. Place rounds about 7.5cm apart on trays. Slide an ice-block stick under each cookie; press down firmly. Position two pretzels on each cookie for antlers; press down firmly. Decorate cookies with choc bits for eyes and mouths. Bake for about 12 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and immediately press choc orange balls onto hot cookies for noses. Cool on trays.
Tip: If the choc orange balls don’t stick to the cookies, secure them with a little melted chocolate.
• Energy 1115Kj • Protein 4g • Total Fat 14g • Saturated Fat 9g • Carbohydrates 29g • Sugars 16g • Sodium 164mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation