- 2 Tbsp ground espresso or plunger coffee
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup sweet fortified wine
- 250g packet sponge finger biscuits
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 2 Tbsp marsala (or extra sweet fortified wine), extra
- 50g dark eating chocolate, grated
1. Combine ground coffee and the boiling water in a coffee plunger; stand 2 minutes before plunging. Combine coffee mixture and sweet fortified wine in a medium heatproof bowl; cool 10 minutes.
2. Place a third of the biscuits, in a single layer, over the base of a deep 2 litre (8-cup) dish; drizzle with a third of the coffee mixture.
3. Beat cream and icing sugar in a small bowl until soft peaks form; transfer to large bowl. Combine mascarpone and extra fortified wine or marsala. Fold into cream and icing sugar mix.
4. Spread a third of the cream mixture over biscuits in dish. Submerge half of the remaining biscuits, one at a time, in coffee mixture, taking care that the biscuits do not become so soggy that they fall apart; place over cream layer. Top biscuit layer with half of the remaining cream mixture. Repeat process with remaining biscuits, coffee mixture and cream mixture; sprinkle with chocolate. Cover; refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
• Energy 3071Kj • Protein 7g • Total Fat 53g • Saturated Fat 33g • Carbohydrates 53g • Sugars 37g • Sodium 49mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation