Green Couscous Salad
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios (or salted, roasted almonds)
- 300g sugar snap peas, halved length-ways
- 250g frozen peas
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 spring onions, sliced thinly
- 2 medium avocados, cut into slices
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
1. Place couscous and 1 1/2 cups of boiling water in a large heatproof bowl. Cover and stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, fluffing with a fork occasionally.
2. Cook currants and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3 minutes or until vinegar is absorbed. Add to couscous with half the pistachios or almonds, whichever you’re using.
3. Place sugar snap peas and frozen peas in a medium heatproof bowl; add enough boiling water to cover. Stand for 1 minute and drain. Refresh in a bowl of iced water and drain again.
4. Place oil, lime juice and garlic in a screw-top jar; shake well, season.
5. Add peas to couscous mixture with spring onion, avocado and dressing; stir gently to combine. Top with remaining pistachios or almonds, and fresh herbs.
Tip: You can use pearl couscous instead of regular couscous. Follow the cooking directions on the packet.
• Energy 2360Kj • Protein 14g • Total Fat 33g • Saturated Fat 5g • Carbohydrates 48g • Sugars 10g • Sodium 36mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation