Caramelised Fennel Tarts
- 50g butter
- 4 fennel bulbs, trimmed, halved lengthways
- 1 tsp finely grated orange rind, plus 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced. Grease and line two oven trays.
2. Melt butter in large frying pan, cook fennel until browned lightly. Add rind and juice, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for about 5 minutes or until fennel is caramelised and tender.
3. Cut pastry sheet into squares, place on oven trays. Remove fennel from pan, leaving behind the pan juices and divide among pastry squares.
4. Bake about 20 minutes or until pastry is browned.
5. Meanwhile, return pan juices to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens slightly.
6. Serve tarts drizzled with sauce and sprinkled with thyme.