Bacon & Egg Pie
- 1/2 bunch kale
- 6 rashers rindless bacon, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, sliced
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/3 cup sundried tomato pesto
- 8 eggs, 1 egg, extra
1. Preheat oven to 210°C. Grease a 30x20cm baking pan. Trim stems from the kale and wash well. Shake off excess water and finely shred. Set aside.
2. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and capsicum and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until softened. Add the kale and stir well to combine. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until kale has softened. Set aside to cool.
3. Cut 1 of the pastry sheets in half. Join 1 piece to a full sheet by overlapping the edges and pressing together firmly. Repeat for remaining piece and sheet. Layer 1 sheet into pan to cover base and part way up the sides. Stir parmesan and basil into kale mixture and spread over base. Dollop teaspoonfuls of pesto over filling. Using an egg, make 8 indents into mixture, then crack an egg into each.
4. Cover with remaining pastry, pinching the edges together with the base pastry. Lightly beat extra egg and brush over pastry. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes until golden and crisp. Cut into squares to serve.