Chicken, Mushroom & Quinoa Risotto
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breast fillets or 4 chicken tenderloins
- 500 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped
- 3 cups salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups white quinoa, rinsed
- 250 g baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan
- large green salad, to serve
1. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat with half of the oil. Season chicken and add to pan. Cook for 6-8 minutes, turning once, until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside to keep warm.
2. Reheat pan with remaining oil. Add mushroom, onion, garlic, and thyme and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until soft and browned. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add stock to the pan and bring to the boil. Add quinoa, stirring well. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until tender.
4. Return mushroom mixture to pan with spinach and cook for 1 minute to reheat and wilt spinach. Slice chicken and serve on top of risotto with grated parmesan. Serve with a large green salad.
Tip: using quinoa for risotto reduces the cooking time and doesn’t require constant stirring.