Vegan Lentil Bolognese
- 500 g wholemeal pasta
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley, leaves picked to serve, stalks finely chopped
- 800 g diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried Italian herb mix
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 425 g can Macro Organic lentils, rinsed, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and parsley stalks, then cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes, herbs and 1 cup water, stir well, then cook, uncovered and stirring regularly, for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water according to packet instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
3. Add lentils to sauce mixture and cook for a further 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened and lentils are heated through. Season.
4. Add pasta and reserved cooking liquid to pan. Toss for 2 minutes or until well combined and heated through. divide mixture among bowls and serve sprinkled with parsley leaves