- 125g butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 300ml thickened cream, whipped
- Strawberries, sliced
- Icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper patty cases.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla extract.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Fold in flour alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Spoon mixture into paper cases until two-thirds full.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean and dry. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut a circle from the top of each cake. Slice in half to make wings. Fill cavities with cream. Top cakes with wings and decorate with strawberry slices and dust with icing sugar to serve.