Lamb, Rosemary & Kumara Pie
- 2 Tbsp rice bran oil
- 500g diced lamb
- 2 stalks rosemary, leaves only
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 kumara, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- Salt, to season
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced). Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over a medium-high heat. Add the lamb and brown on all sides for 7-8 minutes.
2. Add the rosemary, carrot, celery and tomato paste and stir to combine. Add the red wine and beef stock and increase the heat to high. Once almost boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes until the lamb is tender.
3. Meanwhile, to make the kumara mash, boil the kumara for about 20 minutes until soft. Drain then return to the stovetop over a low heat. Add the butter, milk or cream and salt. Mash together until smooth. Stir through most of the cheese.
4. When lamb is tender, scoop into a pie dish. Spoon over the kumara mash and smooth the top. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes until the top is golden.
*Check that the beef stock is Gluten Free.
PER SERVE • Energy 3275Kj • Protein 26g • Total Fat 53g • Saturated Fat 23g • Carbohydrates 39g • Sugars 17g • Sodium 925mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation