Slow-Cooker Massaman Beef Curry
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil
- 2 medium brown onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1kg gravy beef, diced
- 2/3 cup massaman curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock*
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3 medium potatoes, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- Cooked rice, to serve
- 1 lime, cut into wedge
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander, chopped
1. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook onion, stirring, for 10 minutes or until browned lightly. Transfer to a 4.5-litre slow cooker.
2. Heat remaining oil in the same pan over high heat; cook beef in batches until browned. Add curry paste; cook, stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant. Transfer mixture to cooker.
3. Add the coconut milk, stock, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, potato and peanuts to the slow cooker. Cook, covered on low for 8 hours.
4. Stir in sugar and fish sauce. Serve the curry with rice, lime wedges and top with coriander.
*Check that the chicken stock is Gluten Free.
PER SERVE • Energy 2007Kj • Protein 31g • Total Fat 32g • Saturated Fat 13g • Carbohydrates 16g • Sugars 6g • Sodium 1946mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation