Mike's Beef Noodle Salad with Nam Jim
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 250g beef schnitzel
- 1 packet rice sticks
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 6 small carrots, peeled into strips
- 2 telegraph cucumber, peeled into strips
- Nam Jim
- 4 coriander roots, we’ll use the rest later
- 4 cloves garlic
- Handful fresh mint leaves
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
1. In a bowl, add the red chilli, soy sauce and oil. Add the beef, cover and leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
2. On a hot BBQ or frying pan, cook the beef for 4 minutes each side. Allow to rest, then thinly slice.
3. To make the Nam Jim, in a mortar and pestle or a bowl, crush together 3 coriander roots, garlic and mint until fragrant. Add lemon, brown sugar and soy sauce and mix. Taste and adjust according to the flavour; you need a good balance of sweet, salty and sour.
4. Place the rice sticks into a bowl and cover with boiling water, leave to soften for 5 minutes and drain.
5. Heat a frying pan with oil and quickly fry the onions, followed by the carrots, noodles and beef. Pour over the Nam Jim and toss. Garnish with cucumber and fresh coriander leaves left over from the roots.