Mike's Famous Chicken Pie
- 1 free range chicken, cooked
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed, plus 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50g butter
- 50g flour
- 300ml milk, plus 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch salt and black pepper to taste,
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 100g spinach leaves to serve
- Tomato relish (makes about 1 cup)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 400g tin whole peeled tomatoes
- Leaves from 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 Tbsp honey
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan-forced). Start by picking all meat off the bird. Set aside. Keep the chicken carcass to make stock.
2. Add oil to a large saucepan. Rinse and sauté the leek until soft. Remove and set aside. In the same saucepan, sauté garlic in butter until soft. Stir in flour and cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
3. Gradually pour in first measure of milk, stirring well between additions. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes once all milk has been added to thicken sauce. Add leek, chicken meat, peas and mustard and stir well to combine. Season
4. Spray a family size pie dish with cooking spray and place the first sheet of pastry in the bottom. Spoon in the chicken mix. Lay the second sheet of pastry over the top.
5. Whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon of milk to make eggwash. With your fingers, press the two sheets of pastry together around the edges. Prick the top sheet with a fork and brush with eggwash. Bake pie in oven for 25-30 minutes.
6. To make the relish, combine all ingredients in a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Simmer for 15 minutes or until reduced by about one third. Do this while the pie is baking.
7. Serve with homemade tomato relish and spinach leaves.