Ganesh's Marinated Flat Iron Steak with Mushrooms, Walnuts & Spring Onions
- 1kg flat iron steak, cut into 4 even portions
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus ¾ cup for Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt, plus 1 tsp salt for Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups of brown or portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 spring onions, chopped
1. In a sealable bag, add the steaks, 1 tablespoon of oil, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Shake so all the ingredients are mixed well. Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat a BBQ to at least 180ºC. Grill each steak for between 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove steaks and rest for 10 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms to the BBQ hot plate and grill. Add the butter, letting the butter melt on the mushrooms. Remove mushrooms once they caramelise.
4. On the same hot plate, grill garlic slices until they are caramelised. Make sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. Add the walnuts and toast. Set aside
5. To make the vinaigrette, combine the oil, mustard, salt and vinegar in a jam jar with its lid and shake well until fully combined. Add half of the spring onion to the jar and shake to combine.
6. To serve, slice the meat across the grain and place on a serving plate, add mushrooms to the side and lace generously with fried garlic and remaining spring onions. Pour vinaigrette generously on top and enjoy.