Deep Fried Hot Cross Buns Balls
- 1L vanilla ice cream
- 6 Countdown Hot Cross Buns
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- Oil for cooking
- Honey, to serve
1. Roll 6 x ice cream balls. Re-freeze for at least four hours or overnight.
2. Cut the hot cross buns in half but not right through. Using a rolling pin flatten a little.
3. Working quickly, wrap each ice cream ball in a hot cross bun, moulding into a ball shape. Place back into the freezer for another 4 hours or overnight.
4. Dip each ball into the egg and then breadcrumbs. Refreeze until ready to cook.
5. Half fill a pot with oil or use a deep fat fryer heating it to a medium temperature or about 180°C.
6. Take the balls from the freezer and cook immediately for 2 or 3 minutes until golden on the outside. It may pay to cook one first to ensure the temperature is right.
7. Serve with a drizzle of honey.