Hot Cross Cob Apple Crumble
- 1 Countdown Hot Cross Bun Cob Loaf
- 50g butter, melted
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Ice cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 170C. (150C fan-forced)
2. Slice off the top of the hot cross bun cob and set aside for use later. Carefully scoop the filling from the cob without breaking the shell.
3. Place the shell onto a baking tray, brush the inside with a little of the melted butter, and place into the oven for 20 minutes until baked hard.
4. Break up the cob filling and place onto another baking tray. Place into the oven for 15 minutes until crispy. Remove and cool.
5. In a large pot, add the apples, lemon juice, water, sugar and zest, bring to a simmer stirring occasionally for 10 minutes to soften. Remove and cool.
6. To make the topping, crumble the baked cob filling into a bowl. Add the oats, sugar, hazelnuts and remaining butter, stirring well.
7. Spoon the fruit mixture into the cob shell and top with crumble. Bake for a further 15-20 minutes until lightly golden.
8. Serve warm with ice cream.
• Energy 1822Kj • Protein 7g • Total Fat 15g • Saturated Fat 6g • Carbohydrates 65g • Sugars 36g • Sodium 203mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation