Bulghur Wheat and Edamame Bean Salad
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup bulghur wheat
- 1 cup frozen edamame beans, removed from pods
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- Extra soy sauce, to serve
- Citrus dressing
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1. In a saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to the boil and add bulghur wheat. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stand for 3-4 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining cup of water. Add the edamame beans and simmer for 3 minutes. Drain.
3. Add the cooked edamame and remaining ingredients to the bulghur wheat. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad. Toss together and serve.
Bulghur wheat is easy to prepare and a great way to increase your whole grain intake. You can replace the edamame beans with peas, broad beans or snow peas if you wish.
• Energy 2740Kj • Protein 24g • Total Fat 32g • Saturated Fat 3g • Carbohydrates 60g • Sugars 20g • Sodium 1083mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition foundation