Courgette Pasta with Avocado and Pesto
- 8 large courgettes
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, plus 2 Tbsp to serve
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted, plus 2 Tbsp extra to serve
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus 2 Tbsp extra to serve
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 50g baby rocket leaves
- 1 tsp lemon zest, plus 2 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Using a spiraliser or vegetable peeler, slice the courgettes into thick noodles. Place courgette noodles in a large steamer or colander over a large pan of simmering water, ensuring the base of the steamer isn't touching the water. Cover and steam for 2 minutes, or until courgette is just tender, being careful to not overcook it.
2. In a food processor, blend basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan and oil until smooth. Add avocado, then process until smooth. Season to taste.
3. Toss courgette with half the avocado pesto. Divide between four bowls and serve topped with rocket, lemon zest, juice, extra Parmesan, extra pine nuts, basil leaves and extra pesto on the side.
For an alternative to pasta try courgette. It's naturally gluten free and adds an extra vegetable to your meal.
• Energy 1348Kj • Protein 14g • Total Fat 27g • Saturated Fat 6g • Carbohydrates 4g • Sugars 4g • Sodium 631mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition foundation