Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1/2 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 11/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 Tbsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
1. In a food processor, pulse cauliflower until it looks like rice. Microwave for 6 minutes, or until just tender, and season to taste.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large wok on high. Add 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil and swirl wok to coat with oil. Add eggs and swirl wok to form a thin omelette. Cook until omelette is set and transfer to a clean chopping board. Roll tightly and cut into thin strips.
3. Add half the remaining coconut oil to the wok. Stir-fry cauliflower and five spice powder for 2 minutes, or until browned lightly and transfer to a plate. Set aside.
4. Heat remaining coconut oil in the wok and stir-fry carrot and red onion for 4 minutes, or until just tender. Add broccoli and the water and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until just tender. Add garlic, ginger and half the spring onion; stir-fry until fragrant. Add cauliflower rice and sesame oil; stir-fry for 1 minute, or until heated through. Season to taste.
5. Serve immediately, topped with omelette strips and remaining spring onion.
Cauliflower is an easy and versatile alternative to rice if you want to reduce your carb intake and increase your vegetable intake. You can try this recipe with other vegetables such as red cabbage and capsicum.
• Energy 848Kj • Protein 7g • Total Fat 15g • Saturated Fat 6g • Carbohydrates 8g • Sugars 7g • Sodium 569mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation