Avocado Naan with Pumpkin and Feta
- 150ml lukewarm milk
- 1 tsp caster sugar, plus 1 teaspoon extra
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 3 cup bread flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded, mashed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg pumpkin, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch silverbeet, stems removed, blanched
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 180g goat’s feta
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp sumac
1. In a jug, combine milk, sugar and yeast. Set aside for 10 minutes until frothy.
2. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Stir in extra sugar. Add avocado, egg, olive oil and yeast mixture. Mix to make a dough.
3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover and set aside in a warm place to prove for 1 hour (it will double in size).
4. Place pumpkin slices in a steamer basket over a saucepan of simmering water. Steam for 2-3 minutes until just tender, then set aside.
5. Roughly chop the silverbeet and place in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine olive oil and garlic. Toss through chard.
6. Preheat oven to 220°C and preheat two oven trays.
7. Punch dough down and knead for a few minutes until smooth. Divide into two portions and roll each into a rectangle shape. Transfer to a sheet of baking paper, then lift onto preheated trays.
8. Bake both naans for 3-5 minutes, until puffed and just starting to turn golden. Top each with steamed pumpkin, tomatoes, crumbled feta and pumpkin seeds, then sprinkle with sumac. Bake for another 4-5 minutes until golden, then serve scattered with silverbeet
Tip: Instead of steaming the pumpkin, you could roast them in the oven. If you can't find sumac, lemon zest can be used as a replacement.