Beef and Bean Lettuce Burgers with Avocado Smash
- 350g beef mince
- 400g red kidney beans, drained, rinsed, mashed coarsely
- 1 tsp paprika, plus 1/2 tsp extra, to serve
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup cheese, grated
- 1 red onion, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup crushed plain rice crackers or breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 4 small ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped plus extra to serve
- 2 small avocados
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves
1. In a large bowl, combine beef mince, beans, paprika, cumin, cheese, onion, garlic, egg and crackers or breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into 4 flat patties and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, combine tomato and coriander. Season to taste.
3. In a medium bowl, mash avocado and lime juice together until smooth. Season to taste.
4. In a large frying pan, heat oil over a medium heat. Cook patties for 5 minutes on each side or until browned and cooked through. Cover to keep warm.
5. Serve patties on lettuce leaves, topped with avocado, then tomato mixture. Sprinkle with extra smoked paprika and coriander.
• Energy 2680Kj • Protein 36g • Total Fat 38g • Saturated Fat 8g • Carbohydrates 32g • Sugars 8g • Sodium 950mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation