Summer Lamb, Tomato and Beetroot Salad
- 2 medium sized beetroot
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus 2 Tbsp for the Dressing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 300g lamb steaks
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cos lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 4 Tbsp balsamic
- Squeeze of lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
2. Place whole beetroot on a lined oven tray. Pour over 2 tablespoons of the oil and season to taste. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool and then remove skins and cut into quarters.
3. Heat a medium frying pan to mediumhigh. Rub the lamb with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes on each side until cooked to medium-rare. Set aside to rest.
4. In a medium pan, add in the remaining oil. Cook the pumpkin seeds on medium heat until they begin to puff up and pop (about 2 minutes). Set aside to cool.
5. To make the dressing, shake all the ingredients together in a jar. Season to taste.
6. To serve, arrange the lettuce leaves on a platter. Slice the rested meat and place over the lettuce along with the beetroot and tomatoes. Drizzle over the dressing, then scatter over the pumpkin seeds and mint leaves.
Fresh Tip: A simple solution of salt and lemon juice will help remove beetroot stains from your fingers, cutting board and benches.
• Energy 3006Kj • Protein 40g • Total Fat 57g • Saturated Fat 11g • Carbohydrates 10g • Sugars 9g • Sodium 1182mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation