Crispy Fish Burgers with Spicy Tomato Mayo
- 4 medium white washed potatoes
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup chilled water
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 4 skinless white fish fillets
- 4 burger buns
- Iceberg lettuce, 4 large leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Spicy Tomato Mayo
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup spicy tomato relish
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
2. Cut potatoes into wedges. In a baking tray, place potatoes and oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
3. In a large bowl, sift flour and baking powder. Make a well in the centre. Gradually stir in egg yolks and water to make a smooth batter. Season with salt and pepper, then set aside for 10 minutes. Thin with extra water if required.
4. To make the spicy tomato mayo, in a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Season to taste.
5. In a large deep frying pan or saucepan, heat oil on high until a small drop of batter sizzles as soon as it is added (180°C). Dip fish pieces into batter, allowing excess to drain off. Deep-fry in 2 batches for 3-4 minutes, turning, until golden and crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
6. Fill buns with lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Top each with a piece of fish and a generous dollop of sauce.
7. Serve with potato wedges, lemon wedges and extra sauce on the side.
• Energy 2813Kj • Protein 33g • Total Fat 25g • Saturated Fat 4g • Carbohydrates 74g • Sugars 12g • Sodium 1153mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation